Friday, March 23, 2018

a little bit vintage

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

I'm still plugging away quilting my huge log cabin quilt, so that's where I've spent the bulk of my sewing time this week. I did have time to finish up (and gift!) a few items this week, so that was fun!
This pouch was something that I made around the holidays, I think, but I finally sent it off to it's new home this week. (It was so nice to have it ready to go!) The fabrics for the pouch were acquired from the free table at a retreat last summer compliments of my friend Jeni. I turned them into this cute little pencil pouch (free tutorial here) and sent it back to Jeni as a birthday gift. I figured that she would like it, since she is the one who purchased the fabrics in the first place! Ha!
The exterior fabric was a vintage napkin, originally, and the lining fabric was part of a vintage apron. It was fun to repurpose both fabrics to make this pouch. I used my favorite interfacing (Pellon SF101) to add some stability to the lining.
Since I didn't have the right size zipper on hand, I added zip tabs to the ends. It worked out great! Also, I LOVE a quilted zip pouch. It takes longer to make because you have to quilt the panels, but the texture is totally worth it. Plus, it uses up scrap batting. Gotta love that! I'm happy to say that Jeni loved her pouch. Hurray!
I did a little more playing with churn dash blocks. (I still have more ideas to work out...so don't be surprised when you see the next few installments!) This block is 3 1/2" unfinished, so 3" finished. Pretty small, but I still want to go smaller! I think it's a sickness.
I knew that I was not going to have the patience to make a few hundred of these blocks, so I added a thin outside border (so the points wouldn't get lost around the curved edges) and turned it into a pincushion. I love it so much, it's going into the permanent collection. I used a feedsack fabric that came from my grandma's house on the back, so further excuse to keep it. This is scrap project #200.
The last project of the day is a tiny needle book. I purchased the blue vintage scraps at an antique store (many!) years ago. It was high time to use them! I love the vintage-looking button to finish it off. I made two of these needle books, nearly identical. I gave one to my friend Nancy, (who taught me how to quilt!) and I think I will keep the other one. They are so tiny and cute!
The interior fabric was from the stash and the pages are scrap batting. The elastic thread that I used for the loop closure was also repurposed....originally it held a pair of shoes together. I love that I can repurpose that elastic thread....it feels sooo thrifty and it works like a charm! :) This is scrap project #201!
 
It's kind of fun that all of my projects included some vintage component in the making. It feels good to use those precious little bits rather than hoarding them. Hurray!
 
Now, it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thanks, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday!  

24 comments:

Melissa Corry said...

That little pouch is so adorable!! Love it!!

Super Mom - No Cape! said...

All your projects are sooo adorable! I especially love that churn dash pincushion and that needlebook. I also love that you used fabric from your stash. I'm trying to use up more of the fabric and scraps in my stash too.

And thanks so much for hosting Finish it up Friday each week!

Anonymous said...

I’m loving all the churn dash blocks this week! I need to have more patience sewing them.

Alison V. said...

These are all so adorable! That button you used for the needle book is just darling as well.

Sandy said...

I love the vintage fabrics, especially the blue floral. You made good use of it with the darling neeedlebook.

Debbie said...

Darling pouch but I also love the pinnie!

Patty said...

Love the pin cushion!

grammajudyb said...

Good for you, using up bit and scraps. I get that!! My friends think I am crazy that I can't throw away scraps smaller than 2.5"! And saving the elastic thread from a pair of shoes....brilliant! "smile"

Quilter Kathy said...

It is totally a sickness to want to go smaller and cuter... and I have the sickness too!
So fun!

Bernie Kringel said...

What a fun surprise for Jena to receive the pouch from you, made with her fabrics. Great idea!

Sue @ Quilting the Green Star said...

What a lucky friend! Making something from nohing is an illness we all have as quilters!Thanks for the link up too.

Jess Pugh said...

That pouch is adorable, as is the small churn dash block.

farmhousequilter8 said...

I love your blog and I watch for something new everyday. Paula in KY

Rene' said...

I adore all these little finishes! Churn dash blocks are so fun - I love them so much! Lovely needle books too!

Di~ said...

Cute Cute Cute ~~everything. there is an element of love in everything you do!

Jen said...

So many cute projects! I hope to make one of those pouches soon.

ChezVies said...

all are so adorable, eps the pin cushion!

Sew Happy said...

I love your projects.
Is the interfacing SF101, the woven interfacing? If so, have you seen a change in it. The other day, I was going to by some but thought it was not the same. It seemed cheaper. Not as well made as in the past. Just wondering as it has happened in the past with other interfacings. Happy Creating. Donna

Michelle H said...

I have a 'thing' for tiny blocks too...it's a happy problem 😊 Quilting alone makes me super happy but when the quilt is tiny.... It's an added bonus. Something very magical making those tiny blocks... I have no idea what it is but it is a magical feeling!

KaHolly said...

You’re just having too much fun!

R's Rue said...

Love.

Charlotte M. said...

Love the pouch. About the scrap churn dash, I don't know about the scrap part, but I made a teeny tiny churn dash last year in a skill builder series by Quilt Shop Gal. You would love these blocks. There were 5 of them and one was a churn dash. Here is my post with the link. Enjoy.
http://grammieq.blogspot.com/2017/03/and-now-its-monday.html

Charlotte M. said...

http://hopesquiltdesigns.blogspot.com/p/mini-blocks.html

Sorry the link no longer works. this is the link to the mini quilt block patterns.

Jeni Baker said...

You're so thoughtful, I really love the pouch! It's hard to let go of fabrics sometimes, but so fun to see what someone else makes with them! So glad I have a little piece of these in such a darling form!! Thanks Amanda! :)