Friday, September 30, 2016

scrap it up!

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

First off, thank you SO MUCH for your excitement about my book announcement. I appreciate each and every comment!
I have a few finishes to share today! This trio of pincushions were inspired by one that my friend Cindy made. The scraps came from Cindy, as well. Originally, I had the three strips sewn together to make a mug rug or mini mat. I decided that they would be cuter as pincushions, so I ripped the strips apart and quilted them separately. Aren't you surprised that pincushions won out? (Ha!) I love these! They are scrap project #181.
I finished another knit rag rug, too! I love making these because they eat fabric scraps. (I've estimated that one rug uses at least 5 yards of fabric.) These rugs are also helpful for using sub-par or ugly fabric. Not that any of us would have any of that, right? (There is a tutorial here, if you care to make a rug of your own.) I knit this one on size 35 needles and cast on about 40 stitches. This rug was in progress for quite awhile, so I'm excited that it's finished. It is scrap project #182!
 
Now it's your turn! Do you have a finish to share today? If so, please link up. Thanks, as always, for joining me for finish it up Friday!

14 comments:

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh I do love the knitted rug - I keep thinking I must raid the scraps to make one as a bath mat, it would be so soft and cosy :)

Bernie Kringel said...

I so love your rag rugs. This would be such a fun way to use up a bin of strings that I have. Whenever you post about them, I think about starting one. But this time, I am going to do it. It would be fun to have as a hand work project - even if it takes me forever to complete. Thanks Amanda Jean. :-)

Shelina (formerly known as Shasta) said...

Both of these are beautiful projects!

Kathy E. said...

The pin cushions are adorable! I'd like to make them extra large into throw pillows! I think I may do that!

Jan @Cocoa Quilts said...

I love these pin cushions. Congratulations on the book! How exciting.

Anna said...

you're just way too cool. Love these projects so much. :)

Southern Gal said...

I saw the book announcement on instagram! So excited for you!
(queencitymama89)

a maidenhair fern said...

I'm so excited for your new book!!! How can I possibly wait until February?

Judy said...

A rag rug! Hadn't thought of that! Would be a great way to use up some fabric I 'inherited' that I'm at a lose to use up.

simple :: dream :: quilts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
simple :: dream :: quilts said...

I have been making a lot of custom t-shirt memory quilts. Since there is a fair amount of t-shirt bottom that I cut off I give this to my sister who turns it all into t-shirt yarn that she has been using to crochet pillow covers, baskets, etc. Recycling in the true sense. I hope she will some day make me a rag rug.

Go-Go Kim said...

Super sweet pincushions and CONGRATULATIONS on you new book!

WilmaNC1 said...

Love the pin cushions and the rug. So cute!!

Judy said...

Those pincushions are adorable!! I've been meaning to get some made. I am thinking about another sewing machine. What is your sewing machine? Thank you!