Friday, September 04, 2015

birch tree minis

Welcome to finish it up Friday!

I finished up a few mini quilts this week based on my bright birch trees pattern. I love these because they use up the tiniest of scraps! I was also happy to finish these-even if they are small-because it clears up a little bit of headspace. I could use it! ha!
For this small and subtle version, I was inspired by the colors that Erin, Amy and Kristyne use so beautifully. I love how sweet and soft this one is! I think the pink gingham binding is the perfect finishing touch! It measures only 9 1/2" x 8 1/2" and I (really) love it!
This was a single birch tree block that I had made during a class as an example. The plan was to make an entire birch tree quilt with all light backgrounds, but I decided to turn it into a mini instead. Done and done! Feels good...feels great, actually! This one measures 15" square.
 
I gave it a lot of thought this week and I decided that it's time to revisit my 101 scrap project challenge! I'm so excited to revisit this personal challenge...I had a blast the first time around and I think it will be even more fun this time. The challenge is simple: to make 101 (additional) items from scraps. So, I'm counting these birch tree minis as scrap projects #102 and #103! I certainly don't have a shortage of scraps to use...and I'm not naïve enough to think I will actually use them all up. Ever. But, it will be fun trying to make a dent, at least! :) 
 
Now it's your turn! Please link up your finishes for the week. Thanks for joining me for finish it up Friday! Hope you have a fantastic weekend!

28 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

seeing your use of scraps over the last months got me thinking about more use for my scraps and I got my box of 1.5 inch scraps out and making a postage stamp quilt.

Carie @ Space for the Butterflies said...

Oh they are cute!! I love the pastel colours in the first one, it's very restful 😀

roxi said...

They are great! Love the low volume especially! Amanda Jean, what do you do with all of your mini's?

Bernie Kringel said...

Yay! I loved your first 100 scrap projects. Here's to another 100!

Malinda said...

I love the soft colors in the first project, but I always love your scrap projects

CapitolaQuilter said...

Sweet mini - I'm a big fan of the Birch Tree big or small. As always - enjoying the linky party and if I can pull off a finish today as I hope I'll join in.

Unknown said...

I have a lot of scraps, so I will be using them to make this! hope you have a good weekend!xx

Erika | Just That DIY

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

Great mini quilts. Great use of scraps.

beth s said...

Cute little minis!

Katherine said...

Sweet scrappy minis! I always adore scrappy projects so I'm excited you're revisiting your scrap challenge. Woohoo!

Happy long weekend!

rrjane011749 said...

Love the birch tree mini!

Kylie said...

Super cute minis! I am loving your idea of the scrap challenge xx

Lucy | Charm About You said...

Oh I LOVE that you are doing it again! It's always so fun to see what you come up with and it inspires me to deal with my ginormous bag of scraps!

Glinda ♥ said...

Fabby! I want to use up more scraps this year so am too very excited to follow you :)

GranthamLynn said...

I like your birch mini's. I am interested in your challenge but 100 pieces. Wow. I am a little big over my head making the over 600 2 1/2 log cabins for my current project. It's not a finish. I hope you don't mind. I did share the pattern makers original. I've wanted to make this quilt forever and I decided to take the plung.
Thanks for the party. I think this is the first time I've entered but I come by regularly for inspiration!
Hope you have a great party and a wonderful weekend.

Mystic Quilter said...

These must be the cutest minis I have seen! Tiny scraps on your cream background just pop out.

Swedish Scrapper said...

Very cute and very inspiring!

Beth Diaz said...

Love these mini birch quilts! My daughter and I just finished our bright birch tree quilt from your pattern give away last fall! We are attaching our label when she arrives from Seattle this afternoon. It was a great cross country project- Seattle and Memphis - for me to do with her. We are so proud of our quilt! Thank you for inspiring us!

JanetD said...

I love your scrappy projects! I just started your scrap vortex last week. Such good mindless sewing and I used big and little scraps- so freeing!! Thanks for sharing your creativity with all of us!

Lisa C said...

I followed your scrap project the first time with excited glee. It was so fun to see the range of projects you made. I just finished two baby quilts and a large quilt using my scraps and I am soooo over them. Not so much the scraps but the mess that quilting with scraps creates. I'm more of a clean sewist! It takes all kind. Can't wait to see what you come up with this time.

Rene' said...

Love both versions Amanda!! Glad you're continuing your 101 Scrap Projects. Enjoy your long weekend!

margaret said...

2 more good scrap challenges met and they are very nice indeed

Melodee said...

How does one hang a mini quilt? Do you add a sleeve or just stick it with pins? I only have one but thinking about gifting some and didn't know how to handle the hanging part.

Turid said...

I love your minis, and I'm always thinking of doing them myself. But when I start a new project, it's growing big, and often much bigger than I had planned.

Cheryl Arkison said...

Minis for class samples are a good idea!

Karen said...

I'm always looking for minis that this beginner can make without the trauma of huge piles of pieces (know this is your favorite!) and yardage everywhere. Thanks so much for the idea--I never think of making a mini from a full size quilt (Duh!) and I've always loved your birch trees!

KaHolly said...

This is one of my favorites and I have that pattern on my Craftsy wishlist! Looks brilliant as a mini!

Live a Colorful Life said...

These are both super cute. LOVE the pink gingham binding!