Tuesday, September 01, 2015

a pincushion party!

The kind folks at Connecting Threads and I decided that it would be fun to celebrate the release of my good neighbors fabric with a pincushion party! I've asked a bunch of my friends to participate and several of them said yes! So, every day during the month of September there will be a new pincushion to ooooh and ahhhh over. I think that it's going to be a lot of fun! As you know, I do love a good pincushion!
Today I'm excited to kick off the party! I couldn't make just one...no...that wouldn't do! I made two. And I bet there will be more before the month is through! (Ok, I'll stop. I sound like Dr. Seuss! Haha!) The first pincushion I made is a tiny kaleidoscope block. It was inspired by this quilt in progress, and it features one of my favorite fabrics in the whole line. I can't get enough of those polka dots! (They make good binding, too!) I hand quilted around the triangle shapes and I added a button because my center point was far from perfect. It looks better with the button than without, so it all works out in the end! Hurray!
Just this morning I sewed up another deluxe pincushion! (You can see my first one here.) This adorable pattern is in the book Sew Organized for the Busy Girl by Heidi Staples. I'm pretty smitten with this version as well! It was fun to pick and choose 9 fabrics for the center and I love how the linen lets the bright colors shine! It's so happy!

I get a lot of questions about filling and construction when it comes to pincushions, so I thought I would share a few tips. First off, I almost always quilt my pin cushion top onto a scrap of batting. It's a nice way to add some dimension and depth to the patchwork. It uses up some of the batting scraps that seem to multiply overnight, too! I like to interface the backing fabric with Pellon SF 101. It's a woven interfacing that isn't crispy at all and it adds just the right amount of stability to the fabric, and it prevents the need for a liner of any sort. I like to fill my smaller pincushions-like the kaleidoscope one shown above-with crushed walnut shells, which are sold as lizard litter at larger pet stores. If the pincushion is larger-like the deluxe pincushion-I usually use polyester fiberfill. I have a 9 patch pincushion tutorial here that illustrates the steps visually, if you care to check that out. I hope that answers any pincushion constructions questions you may have!

Here is the entire schedule....I hope you enjoy the party!

Date
Blogger Name
Blog URL
9/1/2015
Amanda Jean
9/2/2015
Anna
9/3/2015
Mary
9/4/2015
Svetlana
9/5/2015
Debbie
9/6/2015
Holly
9/7/2015
Carla
9/8/2015
Faith
9/9/2015
Vanessa
9/10/2015
Anna
9/11/2015
Krista
9/12/2015
Erin
9/13/2015
Lee
9/14/2015
Alex
9/15/2015
Cheryl
9/16/2015
Penny
9/17/2015
Amy
9/18/2015
Debbie
9/19/2015
Anne
9/20/2015
Melissa Corry
9/21/2015
Amber
9/22/2015
Nettie
9/23/2015
Adrianne
9/24/2015
Cindy
9/25/2015
Amy
9/26/2015
Chase
9/27/2015
Rene
9/28/2015
Erin
9/29/2015
Nicole
9/30/2015
Teri

39 comments:

Katherine said...

Brilliant! A fun way to celebrate the month and be inspired.

Swooning over those dots, too. Such sweet pincushion ideas!

skrawek tęczy said...

Pomysłowe i piękne:) Pozdrawiam serdecznie:)

Cut&Alter said...

Lovely pincushions you have made and I am looking forward to see a whole host more through September. I had read about you using crushed walnuts shells before but I am having a real job finding them in the UK. None of the pet stores seem to stock them as lizard litter ..... have you had anyone else from the UK ask about them?!

the momma said...

Well, if a pincushion party isn't the perfect way to celebrate your fabric release, I don't know what is!! I love it :-)

A funny story: we are on a spending freeze, but I told my husband yesterday that I would have to buy some fabric anyways. I was explaining why -"You know, AmandaJean, the lady that taught me to quilt? well, her first fabric line released today, and she's got lots of great basics, and I'd really like to buy..."
He interrupted, "Wait. I don't know anything about this. A *lady* taught you to quilt?!"
"Yes," I said, looking all puzzled. (It isn't as though I haven't linked to your blog a zillion times and mention you in passing, as if I actually knew you...)
"Well. Not her *personally*; her blog. You know, Crazy Mom Quilts. The Finish it Friday lady. I'm sure you've heard me talk about AmandaJean" (I say it as one word. I'm a southerner, what can I say? ;-)
He remained unconvinced that he knew anything about your existence, but he didn't tell me I couldn't buy any fabric :-)

Huge congratulations!! I really am so excited for you!!
~ Tracy

mascanlon said...

Yes! I love pin cushions. Just last night I opened up a pack of mini charms and made 5-6 various pin cushion tops, some tiny patchwork some bigger. And then I quilted them to a piece of that scrap batting taking up oodles of space in the closet. I am feeling quite pleased with myself since its Christmas fabric they will be part of my holiday gifts for sewist friends. And now you're going to give me 30 more ideas! Perfect since September is my birthday month.

Abby said...

I love the scissor pocket on the pincushion! I am always losing my little scissors.

Sarah Craig said...

Oh, I can't wait to see all these designs! I love the two you have started with - buttons are my friend, too! And I agree with the lady who commented about you teaching her to quilt - I feel the same way. Yours was one of the first blogs I found when I started quoting and blogging, and it was right after you had decided to stop blogging. I am eternally grateful that you decided to start again!! Congrats on the new fabric line - I can't wait for mine to arrive!!

Anja @ Anja Quilts said...

These are cute cushions. Can't wait to see what others create.

Amy said...

Love your pincushions! And what all star cast you've assembled for more cushie delight. Looking forward to September.

Lisa said...

Can I just say, love it! Have to follow along! You are an originial, so happy for you!

Unknown said...

They're just so cute, I love them both. Can't wait to see the following... Not sure I'll have time to do one myself though..

KaHolly said...

I love parties and I love pincushions! Your fabrics look delicious. You did a wonderful job!

house on hill road said...

I love a good party!

Unknown said...

So sorry that September has only 30 days :-)
I would be so glad to take part in your fleshmob...
Olga

Mama Spark said...

This should be fun. You have quite the line up of folks making pin cushions.

Diane Beavers said...

Amanda Jean, Congrats on the fabric release.....yeah it's finally here and I'm on C.T. shopping away for Good Neighbors:) I do love a pin cushion for every season, reason and just to use up every bit of a Fat quarter or scrap. All my friends will be gifted w/one of your pin cushions.
bluestarof2(at)yahoo(dot)com

Sherry said...

Your fabrics are fabulous and what a fun way to showcase it. I love pin cushions, thanks for the tutorial.

Melodee said...

Congrats on your very own fabric line, the best way to get what you really want. You have a lot of talented friends - I could have used all of this great inspiration for Carmens Swap last month!

Unknown said...

congrats (again) on your fabric line! love these little pin cusions! but if i make one i'll make way too many and i have no friends who sew! problems!!xxxx

Erika | Just That DIY

u keep sewing said...

Love this line of fabric. What a great idea and great friends to help you out.

I think I will have order some.

Thanks for sharing,

Quilter Beth said...

I LOVE the new fabric line and LOVE the pin cushions!

Anne / Springleaf Studios said...

Your pin cushions are always so cute. I'm surprised you don't already have a bowl full of them in your new fabric . . . or do you? Looking forward to the party each day.

Julie L said...

Love love love 'good neighbor's. Just bought a yard of each. Call me poor by statically happy. Stalking the mailman till it arrives.

Anonymous said...

Cute pincushions! I also love the mint green polka dot scissors. Where did you find those?

Unknown said...

I'm a huge Noodlehead fan and came across your new 'Good Neighbors' fabrics. They all look so colourful and vibrant but because I live in Australia I'm not able to order them through connecting threads. Will they be available at a later date by another distributor that posts internationally?

Malinda said...

I have been waiting for your fabric to come out! I ordered the fat quarter bundle yesterday. Can't wait to cut into it!

Carla said...

Very cute! The big one is really cool. I like the pocket to tuck things : )

Heidi Staples said...

So excited to see that you made another Deluxe Pincushion! It looks so adorable in your fabric!!

Allison said...

Love love love love this fabric and those dots! Such a happy collection!

leanne said...

love your pincushions and what a fabulous lineup of pincushion makers !!

carolyn said...

LOVE these and the new fabric!! OMG--congratulations!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, yum! I love those! Thanks for the line-up links.

Lisa England said...

Very cute! It's been a while since I've made any pincushions so it might be time! I know I will get lots of inspiration from the blog hop.

Julie Cefalu said...

Congratulations on your new fabric line! I love the bright color palette. I hope you don't mind if I share your Pincushion Party information on my blog. I think it's a great idea!

Cecilia said...

Congratulations on your new fabric! I love the colors and prints, these make great blenders, too. I'm looking forward to the hop.

DebraKay Neiman said...

I am in a monthly pincushion swap and have many different sizes. Stuffing with fiberfil and crushed walnut shells crystalbluern at onlineok dot com

OhioLori said...

What a cool pincushion!!! LOOOOVE the pocket!! Verrrrry creative!! Thanks for sharing! :)

Kay said...

I love pincushions so I will really enjoy this hop. Thanks so much. x

Anonymous said...

How cute with the button! I love when what we think are mistakes end up making our projects far better than we pictured.